Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Monday, August 11, 2014

A Fool's Gold

     When Paul was in prison he reminded the people about contentment and where that contentment can be found when he wrote in Philippians 4:12-13 (TLB)    I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty or want; for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power.”  Paul is telling us that God is with us and we should praise Him in all situations.  It is with God we can find contentment. 
     In Ecclesiastes, Solomon talks about vanity and questions what he gets for hard work, education, wisdom, having beautiful women, drink, merriment, and obtaining satisfaction.  He says it is like “chasing the wind” but then, in the end,  he realizes that “pleasure is from the hand of God; For who can eat or enjoy apart from him?”

         A Fool’s Gold

I’ve sought riches untold,
But it’s left me feeling cold.
No matter my lot,
No matter whatevr’ I’ve bought,
Constantly on the go,
I’ve found my desires continue to grow.

I’ve sought a fool’s gold
From youth to growing old. 
All my possessions; all the clothes-
Nothing given or that I’ve chose
Fills my hunger,
The desires, or makes me feel younger.
“This house that I own-
It’s not a mansion,” I moun.
There is never enough
Of all this earthy stuff.

The more that I gain, the more I lack;
It’s knocked me off-track.
There’s a lesson here:
For in a blink, it can all disappear.
Wherein then, can I be content?
What has it all meant?

I sought wealth and a high-paying job;
No care for the joy I’d rob.
First on my list was fortune and fame;
No one but myself to blame.
Next came status and all I could claim,
But not a thought from whom it all came!
I’m left spiritually poor
In all my grandeur!

What cannot  be stolen or lost?
What comes with no extra cost?
It’s something I’ve overlooked and missed;
A treasure not on my list!

No matter my lot,
Contentment was what I’d forgot.   
Whether big or small,
God gave me it all.
He is the One who should have been first;
The center of my hunger and thirst.
That’s where my mansion will be-
The pearls, silver, and gold; I can hardly wait to see!
My biggest treasure-
My greatest joy and pleasure
Should have been my God I sought,
Not all the things that I bought.
                        Mary Crisp Jameson – 8/10/2014

 

No comments:

Post a Comment