Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Thursday, October 23, 2014

Southern Gospel Songs

     As we were finishing up dinner tonight my husband said, “That was some good southern cooking.”  Of course, I thanked him, but couldn’t take all the credit.  My mother raised me to enjoy those kinds of meals, but she also took me to church, and I learned to also enjoy, what I call, good old southern gospel songs. 
     There are so many gospel songs which are seldom sang these days, yet they will always remain my favorites because they are the ones I grew up singing.  They taught me about God's great love.  
     The Old Rugged Cross tells how Jesus died on the cross to save those who believe in Him. I can only imagine the home He has prepared for me, a sinner.
 
“On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.”

     Then Amazing Grace fills my heart with the sweet sound of peace and comfort.  I know I am saved by His grace simply because I believe.

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
‘Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!”

     Yes! There Is Power In The Blood.  His blood, which was shed, lifts me up out of the my sin.  It changes me and gives me a victorious life.  Because of the power of His blood, I will, one day, see Him face to face. 

Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There’s pow’r in the blood, pow’r in the blood;
Would you o’er evil a victory win?
There’s wonderful pow’r in the blood.
There is pow’r, pow’r, wonder-working pow’r
In the blood of the Lamb’
In the precious blood of the Lamb.”
 
    What A Friend We Have In Jesus tells me that Jesus is a friend who will be with me through grief, trials, and temptations.  He will be there when I am weak and heavy-laden.  He is a friend like no other!

“What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!
….Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrow share?

     One of my all time favorites is In The Garden.  There is no doubt in my mind that Jesus walks beside me every day. 

I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses,
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.”

     There are so many good, old time gospel songs.  I could go on and on about these songs which  taught me about God, but space does not permit; however, I have to add another song which I remember singing in G.A.’s as well as church services.  We’ve A Story To Tell To the Nations taught me that there is something we need to do for Jesus.  We are commissioned to tell others about Jesus and His death on the cross, “for whosoever believeth in Him shall be saved.”   

“We’ve a story to tell to the nations
That shall turn their hearts to the right,
A story of truth and mercy,
A story of peace and light.
For the darkness shall turn to dawning,
And the dawning to noonday bright,
And Christ’s great kingdom shall come on earth,
The kingdom of love and light.”

     Finally, but not least, we should always Praise Him, Praise Him

"Praise Him! Praise Him! Tell of His excellent greatness;
Praise Him! Praise Him! Ever in joyful song!"


     Why praise Him?  Because Love Lifted Me!

"Love lifted me!
Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help,
Love lifted me!"





   

No comments:

Post a Comment