Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, November 15, 2014

Tranquility in the Woods

     I haven’t been deer hunting in a very long time, but my husband built me a stand not far from our house, which sits at the edge of the woods, so I decided to give it a try. I must admit that I have become quite lazy, and it was hard to pull myself out from underneath my cozy covers to be on that stand before the break of day. As most hunters do; however, it became mind over matter. What is a few hours of loss of sleep compared to the pending excitement of a buck, wearing a trophy set of horns, stepping out into the range of fire? Hunters do not want to miss those opportunities.
     At first, all was quiet and, of course, dark. Shortly, daylight appeared, and with that came the soft sound of dew dropping onto the forest floor. Next, the birds began to chirp. A noisy squirrel scampered beneath a nearby tree.  This was paradise! A perfect peace with no one around to disturb my tranquility, a perfect time to thank God for His works in action, to thank Him for how He takes the beauty of the summer foliage and turns them into a fiery array of colorful reds, oranges, and yellow, and to thank Him for the supply of acorns creating an abundant crop for the woodland creatures. I am reminded of Psalms 119:23-24, “This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”
     In the midst of all this, my cell phone started to buzz with a text message. Did I just say there was no one around to disturb my tranquility? I was mistaken and very surprised. Never, would I have expected my daughter to be up this early, much less alert enough to text me. I quickly responded with a smiley face sign attached, "that I was wrong in thinking there was no one who would be bothering me this early in the morning, and I had just written that into my blog."  I quickly received a response along with her own unique sign that was so funny it had me almost laughing out loud. Immediately joy filled my heart. God had just sent me a rainbow of laughter at the least expected moment and in the least expected way. It was just another opportunity to thank Him for the love I share with those who touch my life, and no one touches my life any more than my daughter.  She strives to keep me young and fashionable, gives me laughter, and lets me feel cherished and needed. No matter how old our children get, they are always our children, and we want the best for them, so, on that count, she also keeps me on my knees before God thanking him for keeping her in the palm of his hand and praying for even more blessings upon her life.   
     Leaving my stand a few hours later I was still thankful for other special friends, and for my husband who lovingly constructed my own special place.  Even though I have to admit to a little disappointment in having only seen a few squirrels and a small doe, I felt refreshed.  I can truly say, “This is the day the Lord hath made…”   

(For some good hunting experiences, click on my book Guys In Camo  which is on Amazon as an ebook.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment