Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, February 1, 2015

Litter Clean-UP

     Driving home from church this morning, I noticed paper cups, cans, and other debris along the roadside and in the ditches.  What a mess!  It is not right that someone would have to come along and clean up what others have done.  I, myself, have worked as a volunteer to clean up our countryside and, as I picked up litter, I thought, “It’s not right that I should have to clean up this mess.”
     Yet, isn’t this what God does every day?  He cleans up our messes.  Only, he cleans up out of love regardless of our bad decisions. 
     It seems as though God has been cleaning up after humans since the beginning of time.  He helped Adam and Eve make clothing after they disobeyed Him.  He opened the heart of forgiveness when the prodigal son returned home only to be received with loving arms by his father.  God converted Paul from a life of hatred and killing to a life of proclaiming God’s Word and giving him a heart of love for others.  When Jesus was on the cross, He gave life to one of the thieves beside Him when the thief asked of Jesus, “Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.”  Jesus told the thief, “Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.”   
     When people seek God, He can change a life.
     I was reminded of the newness of life by the author of our Sunday School lesson when he wrote, “Jesus made all things new through His life, death, and resurrection.”  Those who believe on Jesus have a helpmate; One who can take our messed up lives and make them new.  When we stray and began to litter up our lives God’s power can turn us back to Him.  We can have a fresh, new life because of the  good Shepherd. 

 Luke 15:3-7 (NIV)3 Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment