Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, April 10, 2015

Sleepless in "A Friendly Shade!"

     When I decided to write about the sleepless nights going on at "A Friendly Shade," I immediately thought about the romatic comedy titled, "Sleepless in Seattle." The main character, living in Seattle, was dubbed "Sleepless in Seattle" since his wife died, resulting in many emotional sleepless nights. Hearing the story on the radio, Annie becomes obsessed with the man who cannot sleep. The sleepless nights were about concern for what was missing in his life.   
     Most everyone has sleepless nights at some time or the other. I have them quite often here at "A Friendly Shade." It is also difficult not to become emotionally upset about not being able to go back to sleep.  When all else fails, what can we do in the middle of the night when we are wide awake? I, personally, find that if I can stop agonizing over the need to get some sleep before the alarm goes off, I will find restful time with the Lord. It is in these moments I can offer up prayers for others in need, or I can find peaceful moments by listening for God’s voice in my own life.
     Hopefully we have all read or heard the story of Samuel. What a good example of the voice of God calling in the night!
     1 Samuel 3:3-10
The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the house of the Lord, where the ark of God was. 4 Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” 5 And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. 6 Again the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. 8 A third time the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. 9 So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment