Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Monday, May 4, 2015

Being Selective

     I just returned from a mini vacation and admit that I am one of those travelers who like to snack.  I found myself shuffling through a can of mixed nuts trying to pick out the ones I liked the best, leaving the others for someone else.  I had already come up with an excuse if I got caught.  “I am practicing the fine art of being selective.  In fact, I was taught to be selective.” 
     Well, I might be missing the mark here a little with my application, but everyone does need to be taught, at an early age, to be selective in life. 
     Often times, being selective does not come naturally.  It has to be thought out and practiced.  We need to choose wisely how we treat others.  We need to be selective with the language we use.  We need to be selective in the people we choose to become involved with.  Not only do we need to choose how we treat others, but, most importantly, we need to choose how we use God’s name.   Our selective behavior not only affects others, but it is what builds our character and also affects how we grow spiritually.       

     James 3:3-5 “Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.  Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.  Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things.  Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!”
    Psalm 39:1  “I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.”

      In closing, let us also remember that in the end, God will also be selective. 

      Psalm 75:7 “But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.”
     Revelation 22:12 “And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment