Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, June 12, 2015

Star Light Star Bright

      Growing up, and even now, when I catch a glimmer of the first star sparkling in the night, I often quote a famous nursery rhyme.

          Star light, Star bright,
          First star I see tonight,
          I wish I may, I wish I might
          Have the wish I wish tonight.

      While quoting this rhyme in the quiet hours of "A Friendly Shade," the prayer of Jabez came to mind. It was a simple prayer to God, “Oh, that you would bless me…”   In the latter part of that verse it says, "And God granted him that which he requested." 
     Faith that God will answer prayers is so much better than a wish upon a star and a hope that our wishes will come to fruition.   However, both often take a little action on our part. Usually a wish does not come true unless we take a step to make it happen. It can be the same with prayer; however, with prayer, God is working on our side.   
     This makes me wonder why we teach our children to wish upon a star rather than aligning their thoughts toward God. With that in mind, I quickly made a few changes to the nursery rhyme.
        Star light, Star bright,
        First star I see tonight,
        I praise you God with all my might,
        Please bless me – bless me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment