Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, June 7, 2015

Mobile Phones

     A friend of mine lost her smart phone a few days ago.  She hunted high and low; at her home, at the office, and in her car.  I felt her frustration.  Whenever I forget to pick up my phone in the mornings as I leave for work, I will always return to get it, no matter how late it puts me to work.  It just seems something is missing without my phone.  What if I miss a call?  How can I check Facebook to see what is happening?  How can I text message and all the other means of communication my mobile phone allows me to do during the day? 
     Wouldn’t the world be a better place if we were all as desperate to talk to God as we are to insure we have our mobile phones?  Psalm 119:10 gives us an example of what we should do, “I seek you with all my heart…”   
     What is the most important desire of our heart?  Do we stress and become as frustrated in not taking time to seek God as we are over losing our cell phone?  Are we as committed to talking with God as we are in communicating with friends?  Are we as dedicated in plugging into the God who is longing to direct our paths as we are in making sure our mobile phones are recharged?  Do we seek to fill our minds with the scriptures as much as checking what is posted on Facebook or in other news media?  Finally, have we allowed our mobile phones and other devices to become idols that prevent us from having time to communicate with the God of the Universe, the One who is waiting for a call from us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment