Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, July 17, 2015

Beatitudes

     For my retirement days I made a bucket list, not only of places I would like to see and do, but also a daily list of goals.   They are:

1.      Spend time with my Savior
2.      Do something for myself
3.      Do something for someone else
4.      Accomplish at least one thing. 

    Sounds simple, but as most of us know, it is often hard to reflect back on the day and see what we really accomplished or if there was a purpose for the day.   

     When I was reading my “In Touch” devotional this morning I found some examples the writer gave which I thought would be helpful.  The devotional for the day was actually applying these in terms of the One who never changes and teaching about God’s nature with five examples:

     1.  Jesus forgave others.  He showed mercy, not judgment.  The example was the woman at the well.
     2. Jesus comforted the hurting as shown by his visit with Mary and Martha when they were mourning the loss of their brother.
     3. Jesus provided for needs.  We all remember how he fed the 4000 followers instead of sending them away hungry.
     4.  Jesus interceded for His disciples.  The example was how He asked the Father to protect and sanctify His followers just before He was crucified.  
     5.  Jesus strenthened believers and gave them power to do God's work. 
 
     So how can I use these to help me with my daily goals?  Maybe, the good deed for someone else could simply be to forgive someone or pray for someone.  I could offer comfort by just taking time to visit them, call them on the phone, or even attend a funeral.  I could provide for needs by baking a cake or use the example of my neighbor who fries extra fish to take a meal to another neighbor or friend. 
     What about bestowing power to do God’s work?   I am not supernatural, but I can pray to the One who is All Power.  I can pray for God to strengthen a friend or family member in need.  I can pray for a blessing where a blessing is needed.  I can strengthen my children and grandchildren by teaching them God’s love and by showing them an example of Christian living.   
     As far as accomplishing a project or talking with God, it may be as simple as turning off the television set, the computer, or smart phone and getting off that couch or out of the recliner long enough to have extra time to get the job done.   
     Probable the easiest goal would be doing something good for myself.  I believe nothing does a soul better than enjoyment and a good laugh, even if it is at myself.   

Proverbs 15:13  A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance…
Proverbs 15:15  … but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
Proverbs 17:22  A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: … 

     In ending, let me just say that I thank God for the career I have just completed, and I thank Him for the opportunity for a new vision that will be pleasing to Him.   I pray I catch His vision for my life, and I believe it just may just stem from what I call the Beatitudes or as another author, Robert H. Schuller, called them, "The Be-Happy Attitudes" found in Matthew 5:  

2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment