Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Country Girl

         Growing up my parents gave me all the basic needs and more.  They knew I needed more than what they could provide.  I needed an eternal guiding light, so they introduced me to the One who would lead me through my current walk and into eternal life. 
     In Sarah Young's, Jesus Calling, she writes, "I am God with you, for all time and throughout eternity...  My perpetual Presence with you can be a continual source of Joy, springing up and flowing out in streams of abundant Life. Let your mind reverberate with meaning of My names: Jesus-the Lord saves, and Emmanuel-God with us... Talk with Me about whatever delights you, whatever upsets you, whatever is on your mind..."   
     I am so blessed to have been given parents who were faithful to not only take me to church but to live a Christian example.   In tribute to them, I wrote the following: 

A Country Girl

I was raised among country girls-
Given home permanents with lots of curls;
Digging ‘taters and picking peas-
Saying, “Pass the cornbread, please.”  
I had home-made clothes from flour sacks,
But given love in Godly acts.
There was Daddy’s law
And rules from Maw.
No matter, it was cold or hot,
Momma washed out back in a big black pot.
I remember scrubboards, sounds of roosters crowing,
Rising early with a knowing.
A scented smell of lye soap-
Extinguishing a play day hope.   
Clothes were a’waiting to be hung on barb-wire fences,
Milking cows, gathering eggs to avoid expenses.
Mornings woke with chickens clucking,
Momma, feather plucking.  
There were mattresses airing in the sun,
Yet, work was not at all done. 
A country girl with memories galore;
Not all about work or what I wore.
Jumping rope and playing jacks-
Life was busy but not too much for Godly facts.
We had days for hog killing,
Lard making and chicklings cooking, if Maw was willing.
There was watermelon eating under big oaks,
And home churned ice cream with our kin folks.
Momma quilted and Poppa went off to hunt;
 He loved it no matter the stormy front.   
There weren’t complaints regarding their deeds-
Only thinking to meet the family needs.   
But Poppa didn’t allow no back-talking jaw-
Maw was quick to lay down the law. 
Respect was taught;
Hugs were given if we kids fought. 
I was raised a country girl
Drinking water from community dippers,
Running barefoot with no thought of fancy slippers.   
I had outdoor toilets and tin tub baths,
Then prayers a’teaching Godly paths. 
Life didn’t take no modern-day research- 
Sundays were times for church.
Needless, to say,
On any day,      
I didn’t have the best,
But this country girl was blessed.
                                                                                           Mary Crisp Jameson  10/24/2015

                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment