Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, April 24, 2016

Slogans/ Turning to God

     I enjoy reading all the slogans on church signs.  Most of them have a lot of meaning if you just take the time to consider what they are saying.

    "If you can't sleep, don't count sheep.  Talk to the Shepherd."  When I was growing up and could not sleep, my mom would say, "Close your eyes and count sheep."   It did work some of the time, but yet I remember another time when it was late at night.  A thunderstorm came up and I told mom that I was scared.  This time she told me to close my eyes and talk to God.  He was the one in control, and if I talked to Him I would no longer be afraid.  This has been an on-going ritual because I know God will be with me through every phase of my life.  He tells us  "...Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5

     "If you don't like the way you were born, try being born again."  Some may question, how do I get reborn?  The answer to that is simple, for "whosoever believeth in God should not perish, but have everlasting life."  (John 3:16)   It doesn't take a science degree to figure this one out.  All it takes is a simple childlike faith. 

     "If you're headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns."  I, for one, am good at making U-turns because I will often try to argue with even the GPS.  I do find that my life is so much easier and I get lost less often and am much happier when I stop long enough to listen to God and strive to seek Him and follow His direction and guidance.   

     Here's a good one:  "In the dark? Follow the Son."  Another  is, "When It rains, look for the rainbow, and when it is dark, look for the stars."    Our troubles cause us to feel like we are struggling in the dark but there is a way out, "The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all;  (Psalms 34:19)

     Here is a good one, "No God — No Peace. Know God — Know Peace."  No truer statement could be made.  We all need God in our lives to truly know peace.
    
     "People are like tea bags — you have to put them in hot water before you know how strong they are."  In our weakness we are made strong.  Our hardships should bring us closer to God and serve to make us strong.  There is a scripture that can go with this one too. "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."  Isaiah 40:29

     Here is a humorous and good one for those of us really wanting to change our aging wrinkles.  Instead of a facelift lets concentrate on a faith lift.  "Searching for a new look? Have your faith lifted here!"

     There are so many of these they could fill a book, but one of my favorites is "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  Actually this is not just a slogan, it is scripture that is found in Joshua 24:15 whereby Joshua was admonishing the people about turning away from God.  They had a choice to make, but if they chose to turn away from God, then God would also turn away from them. 

     I pray that our nation will very soon become a nation that returns to the God who loves and blesses us, and that our nation will say, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." 










No comments:

Post a Comment