Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, April 1, 2016

Speck in the Eye

     When I was visiting with a friend and successful business man yesterday, he told me a story about one way to be successful.  It seems there was a new doctor who had just opened his business.  One day during a time with no clients, he looked out his front glass door and watched all the people going into another doctor's clinic; however this doctor had been in business for several years.  In a few minutes a friend walked in and asked the new doctor what he was doing.  The doctor explained he was observing all the business the well-established doctor had.  It was then the friend said, "Let me give you some advice.  You need to stop worrying about the clients next door and only be concerned about giving the very best treatment to the ones who walk in this door." 
     When I was told this story, I immediately thought about Matthew 7:3-5, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
     Even though I had, what I consider a successful career, and am now retired I still have a desire to be successful in my own image and personality.  I believe, that being successful does require giving my best to others, but it also requires that I work on myself so that I am not judgmental without first taking a look at myself and then working on removing the defects I have in my own life.  I have to remind myself daily to stop looking at the actions of others and concentrate on my own thoughts and actions. 
    


    



No comments:

Post a Comment