Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Contentment

     Don't we all just love to stumble upon a secret?
     Paul didn't just stubble upon the secret to being content.  God revealed it to him, just as He reveals it to me if I seek to find it.  Paul has made it easy and shown me how to discover contentment through his writings in Philippians.  From my interpretation, true contentment cannot be found without full and complete faith in God. 
     I have found that when my faith is weak it leads to: 
            F  ear
            A nxiety
            I mpatience
            T hink negatively
            H arvest few Godly blessing

     These are all actions which do not lead to a life of contentment.  Rather than remaining in a weakened state of faithlessness and discontentment, I would do good to consider the words of Paul, while he was in prison, when he wrote in Philippians 4, "...I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content...I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
      When I think about doing all things through Christ, I have to remind myself what our Bible study director said today, "We can do all things as long as it is what God wants in our life."  God is the Navigator, not me. 
     Also, just what is this secret to contentment?  It is certainly not self-indulgence or the "I" factor but rather, to "always be full of joy in the Lord.  Be considerate in all you do. Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.  Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy or praise.  Keep putting into practice all you and learned and received." 
     Paul had already stated, "For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith." (NLT)  
      It appears that my actions, attitudes, and my FAITH in and LOVE for God is the key factor to contentment.   In summary:

  More desire for God's work over personal self-indulgence
   More love toward others over love of self                           
   More faith in God over fear and anxiety                              
   More reliance upon God's timing over impatience              
   More seeking what God wants over my wants             
   More thankfulness to God over personal credit    
   More pure thoughts over dishonorable negative ones
   More heartfelt joy over sadness and unhappiness
   More prayer over going it alone
     These added together =HEREIN TO BE CONTENT            

No comments:

Post a Comment