Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

     Today is Father’s Day!   Social media is filled with “Happy Father’s Day” greetings.  Sadly, for me, my dad has already passed away, but I have the profound knowledge and comfort of knowing that he has been given a beautiful, permanent home with God, and I have been greatly blessed with special, precious memories.  I am so grateful for my Christian dad.  He taught me so much.  He taught me obedience, respect, and courage.  He gave me love, protection, support, and forgiveness.  How did he do so much?  I believe it was because he was a Christian man who listened and learned from his earthly father and was guided by His Heavenly Father.  
     So just how do I spell F-a-t-h-e-r?    

F - a father is faithful and loves his children enough to discipline them when it is needed.       
    Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.  Proverbs 13:24
     “Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it…” Hebrews 12:9

A – a father is a good assistant; he guides and leads; he should be the head of the family but not a controller.    
     Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.” Colossians 3:21
    “Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart.”  Proverbs 3:3

T - a father is a teacher; he teaches by instruction and example.  He also teaches about God and His love.  
     "He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.” Proverbs 4:4
    “Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge.” Proverbs 14: 26

H – a father is a helper; he helps his children learn and sets the child on the path he should travel.  When the child makes mistakes, he forgives and helps them start all over again. 
     “Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.” Proverbs 4:14

E – a father is an example in the way he lives, in his conduct toward others, in his attitude, and in his speech.   
      “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4

R- a father is a receiver as well as a giver.  A Father knows he may only receive back just a portion of the love he bestows, but he is willing to give it with his whole heart, anyway. 
    “... and parents are the pride of their children.” Proverbs 17:6
     …A wise son maketh a glad father…”  Proverbs 10:1

No comments:

Post a Comment