Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Red Carpet Fashion Police

     It was a hot morning but also the last workday of August, and I was dressed in pastel linen.  As I sat in “A Friendly Shade” drinking my first cup of coffee listening to the sound of some wild turkeys gobbling in the woods beyond, it suddenly dawned on me that next week would be Labor Day and September.  “Hmmm,” I thought, “is it time to purge my closet and put these light colored linens I am wearing away?”  I grabbed my cell phone and sent that question out to my Facebook friends.  These are the answers I got.

        “That rule is a million years old.  Retire it the end of September.”
        “I am going to wear white till it gets cool.”
        “September is usually hotter than August. Keep cool and forget the fashion police.”
        “If it still feels nice while wearing it, and you feel pretty in it, I say wear it.”

     Not completely satisfied that I had the correct answers, I quickly went to the web search and received all kinds of comments, from when to wear light or dark colored clothes, open-toed or closed-toed shoes to even tips on seasonal nail and lip colors with the majority of comments stating, “No whites after Labor Day but can wear white after Easter.”
     Needless to say, there were no truly correct answers.  A lot just depends on the weather and where you live.  Even many fashion designers are rebutting the rules. 
     Considering more about the “fashion police,” I thought, "There has got to be something I can wear year-long that will not subject you to the “red carpet” critics."   
     I hurriedly ran to my closet and selected a colorful dress to match the personality that God gave only to me.  It was simple, yet fashionable, and which adequately covered all the important parts, but yet revealing enough to show a heart filled with the Holy Spirit.  Next, I pulled out a matching pair of shoes which I could walk in comfortable, without stumbling, and heels I could walk in fearlessly, hand in hand, with God.  I ran to the mirror to check my smile.  I wanted one showing happiness, peace, and contentment.  Satisfied, I sprayed on a splash of Euphoria, a fragrant steadfast scent which filled the air, reminding me of the steadfast, dynamic, and powerful love of God who is never changing throughout any season.  But I also had to have accessories!  I was missing my jewels, sparkling with faith and joy.  After adding those, I grabbed a hat embellished with truth and honesty, then a matching purse filled with the fruit of friendliness and good labor for others.  I thought I was, indeed, ready for the "red carpet" walk when I spotted a pair of dress gloves.  Oh yes, I needed those too!  They were my fingers of helpfulness and sharing.  Holding them in my hand next to the strap on my shoulder bag, I again viewed myself in the mirror.  I straightened my pose and thought, "Yes! This ensemble should take me from spring and summer on into fall and winter.  If not, to heck with the fashion police of the day.  Only God is the anchor I must satisfy."   In my way of thinking, "I am properly dressed, glamorous enough, and fearlessly ready to take that successful step, with God by my side, out onto the "red carpet"  of life."


     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment