Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, September 4, 2016

What's In A Name?

     A person's name is part of what defines him.  In fact, most expectant parents spend a lot of time selecting names for their new-born infants, and they should, because their  name will be with them for a lifetime.  I learned early on that names are important.  Whether addressing an adult or a child, being able to call them by name gives them a sense of importance.  I tried very hard when I was employed to call every customer by name.  Also, when I was trying to find a craft project, one mom told me that if I were able to put the child's name on it, the project would sell.  Children like to hear their names and even see their names in print.  It gives them a sense of recognition.   
     Even in Bible times, names were given which had meaning.  In Charles Stanley's devotional, it was stated that in Hebrew, Judah means "this time I will praise the Lord," Jacob means "one who supplants," and Jesus means "salvation or He saves."   
     It should be noted here that God's Son's name was important to Him.  God picked out His own son's name when an angel from God said to Mary, "And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thou womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS." 
     When I consider the importance of a name, I am also reminded of Proverbs 22:1, "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."  This reminds me that it is up to me to make my name one to be respected.  I am further reminded that when I was born again with Christ, I was given a new name, "The Child of God."  Also, most important of all is that I must continually acknowledge His name.  Nothing would be worse than when God comes to gather his children home, to hear Him speak my name saying, "I never knew you."

 Matthew 7:21-23  "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

    

No comments:

Post a Comment