Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Monday, February 27, 2017

Love and the Cross

     We often read stories that warm the heart.  Usually, most are the result of courage and love.  That's as it should be, for one of the greatest characteristics we can develop in life is love. 

     1 Corinthians 13:13, "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 

     Within the same chapter we are told just what love is:  " If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. ..."

Other people have said:  
     "Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own."
     "Love isn't love until you give it away."
     "Love will find a way."

     The above quotes are all good characteristics of love, but the one true example of love was when Jesus loved everyone enough to spread out His arms and allow the nails to pierce His hands.  What we have to remember is that Jesus was not forced upon the cross. 

     John 10:17b-18,  "I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” 

     His death was planned,  His method of death was planned, and His place of death was planned.  It was all pre-appointed! 

     John 3:16,  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment