Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, March 29, 2014

Standing At The Base Of The Cross

     There was a song we sang at church when I was growing up, and the refrain went like this, "At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light, and the burden of my heart rolled away, it was there by faith I received my sight, and now I am happy all the day!"
     As I sat in "A Friendly Shade," and thought about that memorable song, I couldn't help but be drawn to the base of that cross.     

I stood on a firm foundation
  at the base of the cross.
I didn’t, yet, understand this great plan of salvation.
The earth shook and darkness covered the lands
  while blood fell from His nailed pierced hands.

Fear came upon the people standing there;
Some cried, but others did not care.
This was just a man they wanted crucified.
Upon His head was placed a crown of thorns,
  followed by laughter and the people’s scorn.

I watched as the blood dripped from his wounds
  and saw Him struggle to take a breathe.
Standing there in awe, I heard Him cry out in death,
“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”
I thought, "Here is a man dying to set me free."

The dark veil lifted, and I was left standing in the light;
It was no longer dark as night.
I had felt the ground shake
  from the mightly quake.
Yet I knew I was standing on solid ground.
It was so profound!
I surely was not worthy of all of this.

I watched as friends lifted Him down from the cross
  and mourned their loss.
He had died “Kings of the Jews,”
  but He arose Saviour of all!  

He Is Risen! He Is Risen!
He has set me free from the chains of prison.
My burdens are lifted away,
  now I am happy all the day.
                     Mary Crisp Jameson

No comments:

Post a Comment