Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, December 7, 2014

Embracing Christmas with the Five Senses

     As I embrace Christmas this December and reminisce on Christmas past,  I find that I am blessed to have my five senses which have been used in so many ways to grasp the joy of the season.  Not only do we all use our five senses, but, during that very first Christmas, there were Shepherds, Wise men, and others who did so too. 

Do you hear what I hear?
     Current:  It’s the sounds of Christmas ringing in my ear. I hear the soundtracks of Christmas; the songs of “Away In A Manager,” “The First Noel”, “Joy To The World,” “Jingle Bells”, and so many, many more. I hear the friendly greetings of, “Merry Christmas!”  I hear the giggles of children expectantly waiting for Santa. I hear the carolers, both young and old. 
     First Christmas: Yet, on that first Christmas day when baby Jesus was born, there was the sound of a new born baby’s heartbeat.  There was the joyful sound of the angels announcing, “Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”  Along with the sounds of joy, there was probable the noisy sound of the stable animals when Jesus was laid in the manager.
     Jesus:   As the story of Jesus progresses, some would hear Jesus, himself, say, “‘Father, forgive them.”   Then there is Jesus’ own Father, in a voice from heaven, heard saying, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
 
Do you see what I see?
     Current: Sight is a wonderful experience. At Christmas, I see the sparkle of glittering lights and bright colored ornaments trimming the trees. I see candy canes, colorful ribbons and bows, pretty wrapped packages, and red poinsettias. I see toys, people busily shopping, and carolers delivering Christmas music and joy to all.  I see children excitedly unwrapping their long-awaiting presents. 
     First Christmas: On that first Christmas day,  there was the vision of a tiny baby lying in a manager filled with hay. There was the sight of a bright star proclaiming the kingly birth. There were joyful angels who appeared proclaiming the birth of a king.
     Jesus:  Who really knew on that first Christmas that this tiny infant would give us a vision of the cross where his blood ran red; a vision of the nails in His hands as He hung on that cross to give believers a life everlasting?
 
Do you taste what I taste?
     Current: When I was young, fruit at my house was not very plentiful, and I can remember the sweet juicy flavor of those long awaited apples and oranges. I taste the rich sweetness of fruitcake. I taste dressing, ham, turkey and all the trimmings that go along with a traditional Christmas dinner. I taste the cinnamon in hot apple cider.
     First Christmas:  I don’t have a clue what the meal was on that first Christmas day, but I know there was the taste of peace and joy. Christmas is love! You can taste it, and it mellows the soul.
     Jesus:   Jesus later demonstrated what we needed to taste when He broke the bread and said, “This do in remembrance of me.”
 
Do you smell what I smell?
     Current:  I smell the scent of cinnamon and spice, simmering hot apple cider, and the fresh scent of peppermint. I can take a breath and smell fresh cut cedar. I smell the aromas inside and outside the home.
     First Christmas:  On that first Christmas there was the fresh smell of the crisp, cool outside air. There had to have been the smell of dusty hay and the scent of unwashed livestock.  However, I imagine the joy surrounding the birth of Jesus overcame any of those unpleasant aromas.  When the wise men arrived there was the fragrance of frankincense and myrrh. 
    Jesus:  Jesus was pure giving us a crisp clean fragrance of love. Where He walked, people followed. Many of His disciples were fisherman. I imagine they knew the scent of smelly fish as they struggled with their nets. This was food for them and their families, but it was a labor they willingly gave up to follow Jesus.
 
Do you feel the touch that I feel?
     Current:  At Christmas and all during the year I have been able to feel the touch of a loving Mother and Dad. I feel the hugs of family. I feel the rough, prickly prick of a cedar branch. I feel the warmth from a hot cup of cocoa or apple cider.   
     First Christmas:  On that first Christmas there was the feel of a baby’s soft skin. There was the tender embrace from a mother for her tiny child. There was the feel of the rough texture of the swaddling clothes placed around the infant to keep Him warm from the chill invading the stable. This was a Savior touched by human hands. This was a Savior come to die for you and me. This was truly the touch of love.
     Jesus:  With Jesus’ death there appeared a different touch. There is a Living Touch in the hearts of all believers. When we are sad, when we are in trouble, and when we despair there is a gentle touch that lets us know we are never alone.

     This Christmas I want to use my senses to embrace the traditions, the Season, and the wonders of the amazing story of Jesus.   
     For those reading my blog who do not know Jesus as their Savior, I pray you will ask Him to come into your hearts.  It will be the greatest gift you can ever receive.  When I think of Christmas, I see the little children who "believe".  It is so easy for them to believe in Santa Claus.  ..."Believe! "... Why is it so hard to believe in Jesus?  All we have to do is call upon His name in faith.  He is not make believe and here for only a season.  He is real and with us daily.  The miracle of Christmas is that Jesus, God's own Son, was born on earth. Then He died on the cross to save us.  Next, there was the resurrection and He lives today in the hearts of those who believe. 
      Luke 2:11  “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”  John 3:16  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment