Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, January 23, 2016

Jonah And The Whale

     I like the story of Jonah, probably because I can relate to him and his actions.  He actually thought he could hide from God, but he couldn't.  He thought there would not be consequences for disobeying God.  He was good at making excuses, but God was better at explaining.
     As I was doing my bible study lesson on this cold wintery day in "A Friendly Shade" I took more time considering what really happened between Jonah and God.  The lesson asked the following questions, and I inserted my responses.  For your own study, however, please go to the actual Bible verses.

Summarize what happened to Jonah from Jonah 1:4-17
  Jonah hid in the bottom of a boat and fell asleep.  He wasn't making a sound, not even a peep.
  The winds blew- the storm raged- the sailors prayed.
  The Captain gave Jonah a shake, "Wake up!" he said, "for heaven's sake."
  "Pray to your God to stop this raincloud," he shouted loud.
  Jonah cried, "Throw me into the sea, then the storm will flee."
  The sailors didn't want to die, so they listened to Jonah's cry.
  Out, out, to the sea he fell, to live inside a whale for a spell.

From Jonah 2:1-5, what did Jonah realize while inside the fish? 
  Jonah prayed in his time of need and began to repent of his rebellious deed.
  He knew God heard his cry, trouble was upon him, and he knew why?
  As he sank beneath the ocean waves, he longed to serve the God who saves.
  Locked away, imprisioned in the land of death; seaweed wrapping around with every breathe!
  Jonah began to give God his thanks, wishing, pleading for the safety of seaside banks.
  Jonah, no longer rebellious, turned to God with every thought, and deliverance is what it brought.

How did Jonah react to God's mercy toward Ninevah from Jonah 4:1-!5
  Jonah complained to God, "Just what I thought you'd do; all my preaching you just blew!"
  "That's the very reason I ran away; in your mercy and love you forgave them all, this day."
  "Kill me! Kill me!" Jonah pled.  "You didn't support whatever I said."
  Angry and sullen, Jonah went off to sulk; to watch and wait beneath a shade in all its bulk.

What object lesson did God give to Jonah as a picture of His concern for the people?
Jonah 4:6-11 
  Jonah's shade soon withered from heat, but God sent a vine to shade his head and feet.
  In comfort Jonah continued his wait; the vine died, & scorching sun was Jonah's fate.
  Angry over the dying vine, Jonah continued to whine.
  Then the Lord spoke, "You did nothing to create the shade, but you welcomed my aide.
  Why then, shouldn't I have changed my plan for a people living in a spiritual, darkened land?"
 
     You see, like us, Jonah ran from God's request.  He tried to hide but couldn't.  He was disciplined in order to bring him back to God.  He was strengthed and returned to do as he was told.  Yet, things still did not turn out as Jonah thought, so he became angry with God and he made excuses for his actions.  He was too proud and too concerned about himself and his feelings in order to consider others and to be thankful they had turned from their evil ways and received God's forgiveness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment