Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Year Resolutions

        I did not sit in "A Friendly Shade" and prepare a list of new resolutions for 2016.  "Why do them?" I thought.  I never keep them anyway.  So out with trying to lose weight, eat healthier, and exercise more.  Instead of reshaping my body,  I will simply work on reshaping my mind and thoughts.  Let me just be thankful for waking up to God's presence and going to bed with thoughts of Him.  I believe if I will put God first in my life then all the other lists of improvements that I could strive for may just fall into their proper place. 
     The In Touch devotional for January provided some good ideas to replace goals, along with scripture verses.  Below is a condensed version, and I used The Living Bible version:

* Do A  Clean Sweep - Rid the mind of attitudes and behaviors that hinder spiritual growth and relationships.
      Colossians 4:5  "Away then with sinful, earthly things; deaden the evil desires lurking within you; have nothing to do with sexual sin, impurity, lust and shameful desires; don't worship the good things of life, for that is idolatry."
* Talk Less, Listen More- Listen to understand others rather than listening to simple respond.
     James 1:19 "Dear brothers, don't ever forget that it is best to listen much, speak little, and not become angry;"
*Bark Less, Wag More - Replace complaints and criticism with thanks and praise.
     Philippians 2:14 "In everything you do stay away from complaining and arguing," 
     Philippians 4:4 "Always be full of joy in the Lord, I say it again, rejoice!"
*Celebrate Each Day- Find something special to rejoice over each day for every day is a gift from the Lord.
     Psalms 118:24  "Blessed is the one who is coming, the one sent by the Lord.  We bless you from the Temple."




    

No comments:

Post a Comment