Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, February 24, 2017

Do Prayers Expire?

     When I woke this morning and started planning the day, I decided my task for the day would be to toss out those expired salad dressings, relishes, and other food items that had accumulated in the shelves of my refrigerator door.  Then I would tackle the medicine cabinet.  This seemed like a good plan, but first I needed to make a trip to the gym for a good workout. 
    On the return trip home, I spotted a sign on the church parking lot which read,  "Prayers Do Not Expire."   Since expiration  dates were on my mind, I was a little awed by this simple reminder on prayer life and expiration dates.
     You might ask, "If prayers don't expire, why are they not always answered?"  All I can say is that God already has a plan for us, but he still wants us to pray.  "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  (Jeremiah 29:11-13)   We are also told to "Pray without ceasing." (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

      In researching prayer further, I also came across a few in Revelations.  I interpret these verses to mean that our prayers are on record forever; they do not expire.   Read these verses and you decide.  

      Revelation 5:8, "And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.

      Revelation 8:3 "Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne."

     Revelation 8:4, "The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand."

     When I see Jesus, face to face, my desire is that my prayers be filled with praise for Him, that they be filled with thankfulness, that they not be just about me, my wishes and desires, but about others as well, and that they be filled with God's desires for all mankind.   
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment