Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, April 8, 2018

Joy and Laughter

     Psalm 90:12  "Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom."  Thinking on this verse, I decided that much of what gets us through the brevity of life is joy.  Not only that, but joy is good medicine, and joy in the Lord is required. 

Psalm 98:12 "May all who are godly rejoice in the Lord and praise His holy name."
Philippians 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice."

     God is truly the essence of my joy, and the reason for my gratitude.  However, somewhere along the way I had to develop laughter, that true "belly laugh" which gets me through the daily chores of the day.  I am not an expert on emotions or behavior but for me laughter goes full circle.  By that I mean, when I committed to following Christ, I was given the gift of joy which brings about a desire for laughter of the soul which connects my inner-person to my joy which increases my gratitude to God.  Often, in life laughter has be to practiced in order to find it when it is truly needed.     

                 
     In an article written by a Laughter Yoga Teacher, he writes, "Think of yourself like an ocean; underneath the storm, deep down, the sea is calm and peaceful.  Your emotions are like the waves on the surface, turbulent or calm and peaceful.  Deep down is where your "authentic joy" is sitting."

     For me, laughter is fun and it's free.  Even though laugher can be contagious, it would be rather embarrassing for anyone to be around me when I really want to exercise or practice my "belly laugh."  Most of us have heard that infectious baby laugh or giggle which goes on and on until everyone around is also laughing.  In the privacy of your alone-time try it sometime. 
     What does this do for me, you might ask? It removes the frown from my face.  It relieves my tension and stress, and I believe it helps connect my true inner-self to my joy.  If nothing else, it makes me laugh at my own silliness. 
    Life is brief!  I want to treasure my joy, mixing in a measure of laughter which can circulate throughout my body from my toes and up into my mind and spirit. 

O, Lord! Thank you for my joy and help me laugh through the brevity of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment