Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, January 18, 2015

Goliath And The Stone

     Goliath was a very big giant of a man. He was so big even the mighty men of war trembled in his presence. According to scripture Goliath was “six cubits and a span.” The interpretation I found shows this to be 9 to 10 feet. We are also told that Goliath wore a coat weighing “five thousand shekels of brass.” I looked this up and found it to be 125 pounds. The weight of this along would put most men to the ground.  Can you imagine a small boy in his youth fearless enough to stand up to this huge giant with only a few stones?
     Just what makes some men and women tremble or get sick and depressed while others, going through similar troubling situations, meet people with a smile, never displaying their problems?  Why can some people face their problems in order to find solutions and embrace life while others hide themselves in self-pity?  How can we all strive to eliminate anxiety and worry?  I would like to believe it is sincere faith in a God who promises to walk with us through the trials of life.    
     The way I would like to spell F-A-I-T-H is like this:

Fear that has said its prayers”
  Abort self-pity
  Implant the positive
  Trust in God with all your heart
  Hydrate yourself in His Word

     When David went out to meet Goliath, he showed great faith.  David said, “The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine.”  There was no doubt in David’s mind that he would kill Goliath that day as he shouted, “Thou cometh to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel…” 
     When faced with problems so huge we see no way to overcome them, it would be good to remember the slogan I saw on a billboard recently, “For every Goliath, there is a stone.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment