Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, December 18, 2016

Watch!

     Before Jesus was born, people were waiting and watching for a King.  They did not know the hour or time of His arrival just as we do not know, today, the hour of His return.  We are told in several scriptures to "watch".  Matthew 24:42 says, "Therefore keep watch..."  Matthew 26:41 tells us, "Watch and pray...."
     What is so important about "watch"?  And how do we watch?     For me, being watchful means staying in the Word.  To remind myself of why, I developed the following acronym:
  W-ord
  A-lpha
  T-emptations
  C-hrist
  H-eaven
     
     By staying in the Word of God, I am strengthening myself and surrounding myself with His shield of protection.  I am preparing myself to be watchful of the way I live my life as a witness for others.   1 John 2:5 "But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."
     Jesus said, I am the Alpha and Omega; the beginning and the end.  From the beginning of my Christian life to the end, I need to study the Word, being watchful to remain true to God throughout my life.  Jesus and His Word are my safety net.   Isaiah 40:8 lets me know that from beginning to end God's Word stands forever.  "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."
     Temptations come at me every day, for Satan is roaming to overcome me at my weakest moments.  Only by staying in God's Word can I watch and even attempt to overcome my sinful nature.  Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
     Jesus Christ is the who said, "Watch."  By watching and strengthening myself in His word, I am striving to be an obedient child of God.   2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
     Heaven will be my reward for remaining watchful and for trusting in the One who created me.  Proverbs 30:5,  "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment