Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, March 17, 2017

Forgiveness

     There was a time when I found it harder to forgive than I do today, although there are still times I struggle with forgiveness.  It is the One who has the power to work within me who enables me to be more forgiving.  I am reminded in Matthew 19:26, "...with God all things are possible.”
     When I ask myself why I even need to forgive, I have the following reasons:
1.  I need to forgive because God forgives me.
2.  I am being obedient to God's instructions when I forgive.
3.  Forgiving helps me grow spiritually.
4.  Forgiveness creates a heart of love rather than one of prejudice and hatred which would rob me of my own joy. 
5.  Just as anger controls me, a lack of forgiveness can control me too. 

     When I struggle with forgiveness, the following scriptures help to restore my thinking and get me on the right path. 

      Colossians 3:13 "Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

    Matthew 6:14-15  " For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

     Luke 17:3-4  "So watch yourselves.  “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.  Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

     Ephesians 4:31-32 "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."


     Luke 6:37  "Do not judge, and you will not be judged.  Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.  Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

   

No comments:

Post a Comment