Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, July 17, 2011

Humor with Devotional Thought and Scripture

It's a dry, hot day under my Friendly Shade in Arkansas today, but there is always a breeze when a child speaks; it adds humor and laughter to the heart.  The devotional thought is a summary of what my pastor spoke about this morning. 

A father was reading Bible stories to his young son. He read, “The man named Lot was warned to take his wife and flee out of the city, but his wife looked back and was turned to salt.”   His son asked, “What happened to the flea?”

It is never too early to start children in the word of God.  We are told that “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”  When we are afflicted, we often ask God to “quicken us” or in other terms: to revive, renew, or refresh.   When we feel spiritually dry deep in our souls, God’s word will provide refreshment.  It will give hope.  However, so many of us fail to get out our Bibles and read God’s word until we are actually going through those problems or afflictions in life.  Rather than turn to your Bible, after the fact, why not get the Bible out first.  Then when afflictions come they will “flee” much more quickly. 

This is my comfort in my affliction; for thy word hath quickened me.  Psalm 119:50

1 comment:

  1. Introducing the word of God to children at an early age is exactly what my parents did! I would not be the person I am today had this not been a priority in my family. Thank you, Mother, for instilling in me the importance of seeking God's word on a daily basis.
    Much love,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete