Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Prayer of Jabez

“Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, 'Oh that Thou would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast [territory], and that Thine hand might be with me, and that Thou would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me!' And God granted him that which he requested." 1 Chron 4:10
     The book The Prayer of Jabez, written by Bruce Wilkerson, teaches a powerful way of praying, and it is a book I highly recommend.  The prayer, “Oh that Thou would bless me indeed” is part one that asks the Lord to bless you.  Are you surprised? Do you think this is a selfish request to ask blessings upon yourself? As Bruce writes, “Is it possible that God wants you to be more selfish in your prayers?”  Read the book.  You will find a remarkable eye-opener lesson. 
     The 2nd part of the prayer, “Enlarge my coast” is a plea for God to take all God has put under your care and to enlarge your territory for Him.  I was fearful of this part, because I thought God would ask me to do something I did not want to do or would be unable to do.  I have since put my full faith in Him and sincerely asked Him to enlarge my territory.  If you will try it, you will find it will take the complacency out of your life.  
     The 3rd part of the pray, “That Thine hand might be with me,” is a simple request to ask God to empower you to do what He asks. We should ask everyday for God’s touch upon us.   
     The 4th part of the prayer, “That Thou would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me” is a request to keep you from temptation, and as Bruce interprets, “that I may not cause pain.” 
     I have given only a brief sampling of what you will find in the book, The Prayer of Jabez.  I encourage everyone to read the book.  It will change your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment