Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Perfect Diet

     The perfect diet has been researched for years, but people still struggle with weight control.  As I sit here in “A Friendly Shade” I feel myself getting complacent and putting on weight.  Maybe I do need a change of diet; one that fills me up and does not leave me with cravings. I need to change the “bread” I consume.
     Thinking on this, I remember one of my pastors telling about the time he was determined to fast for 21 days.  He was doing pretty good until one day when he became extremely hungry.  He was about to break the fast but then heard a voice saying, “You have not had your bread today.”  Immediately the pastor dropped what he was doing outside, went into the house, and picked up his Bible.  He needed the “Bread of Life.”  After finishing the Bible reading he stated he was no longer hungry.
     Once again I can relate to the “bread” I consume as I remember what a friend told me about a class of children she was teaching.  The friend was explaining to the class how religions practice their faith differently, but they all believed in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life”  The lady then asked one of the children, “How do you practice your faith?”  The child replied, “Well I am a Missionary Baptist and we eat.”   The lady asked, “What do you mean?”  The child continued, “Every Sunday we go to church early and we eat.  Every fifth Sunday we have potluck at church and we eat.  Then every second Friday night our church has a gospel singing and we eat.  So that is how we practice our religion.”    
    Sounds like my kind of church!  I am sure the “Bread of Life” is watching over that congregation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment