Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Thursday, August 30, 2018

Praying

     I don't have any problem praying to God, but I know He must get awfully tired of my same old habitual prayers.  I am a person of few words and my prayers have got to be, sadly, boring to God.  So I took interest when our pastor recommended a book written by Donald Whitney, Praying The Bible."   Instantly, I thought, "Maybe this book will give me the solution to a better prayer life."  
     I have not actually ordered the book yet, but I did take a look at the reviews.  One reviewer gave a simple description of what the book presents, as follows: 

"1. Select a passage of Scripture (usually a Psalm) and read it.
2. Read the first verse. If a subject for prayer comes to mind, stop and pray. Use the words of the Scripture to help guide your prayer.
3. When you're done with that verse, move on to the next verse.
4. Repeat until you run out of time.
It's really that simple. Dr. Whitney advises that the Psalms are the easiest Scriptures to pray through, and are most easily applicable to this method..."  

Yesterday, our Pastor posted Psalm 59:16-17 on his facebook page.  

But I will sing of your strength: I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.  For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.  o my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.  

I read the Psalm and did the prayer.  Wow, my heart was full.  This will take some practice on my part but hopefully I will learn a better way of praying.       

No comments:

Post a Comment