Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, February 23, 2020

What IN IT?

There is a quote by John Piper in my Sunday School lesson which gives insight into the essence of worship.

Just what is true inner worship?  John Piper puts it like this: "The inner essence of worship is to know God truly and then respond from the heart to that knowledge by valuing God, treasuring God, prizing God,  enjoying God,  and being satisfied with God above all earthly things."

Most would ask, "What's in it for me?"  John Piper tells us that we gain "deep, restful, joyful satisfaction in God which overflows in demonstrable acts."

Then the question could be, "What's in it for God?  Piper says that these demonstrable acts overflow into "acts of praise from the lips and demonstrable acts of love in serving others for the sake of Christ."

So, what is in it for others?  I would answer a demonstration of our  loving service to them. 

Oh Lord!
I lift my hands in praise.
My hearts flutters within your presence.
I value your inner dwelling,
  treasure your faithful promises,
  prize my very life and salvation.

I value your peaceful tranquility. 
  treasure the blessings you provide.
  prize my waking healthy moments.

I value your Word,
  treasure your Walk with me daily. 
   prize my Heavenly protection.

I lift my hands in praise,
Thanking you for your love,
  for the love of friends and family,
  for opportunities to share You.
                                      AMEN
                               
                             


No comments:

Post a Comment