Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, September 4, 2011

Labor Day Devotional Thought


Labor Day has been observed for so many years most people don’t even know why.  According to Wikipedia the first big Labor Day in U.S.A was observed on Sept. 5, 1882 by the Central Labor Union  of New York.  It became a federal holiday in 1894, following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military & U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike under the presidency of Grover Cleveland.  Fearing further conflict with the labor union, legislation, making Labor Day a national holiday, was rushed through Congress & signed into law a mere six days after the end of the strike.

 My pastor talked more on work today which gave me pause for thought.  The Bible instructs people to stay busy, to work and earn the bread they eat.  There are those who are unwilling to work but all too willing to accept free handouts.  Then there are those who do nothing but work.  As we stop and think about the work we do, remember that our work is not only to provide for our families and to have the luxuries of life, but, rather, work for the service of God.  Our work is never finished for God.  There was a free handout given for all but, so often, this is the one free handout that is rejected by man.  This free handout of Salvation was given with love.  We can’t earn it.  It is by grace that we receive the free gift of Salvation.   
   
     Jesus did the work for which He was sent
     To save His people was God’s intent.
     God allowed the torture and watched as Jesus died.
     It was for all mankind, nationwide.

5 comments:

  1. The best free gift I have ever received!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could give you good hints..but I am not very knowledable on the subject..My blog is a hobby..However, the more often you blog the greater will be your audience..Thank you for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I will be going through a few of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfulness to my father who shared with me regarding this webpage, this web site is in fact awesome.

    ReplyDelete