Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, April 1, 2012

One Day AT A Time


     Most support programs that deal with addiction make use of slogans, such as: One Day at a Time, Live and Let Live, Let Go and Let God, and Listen and Learn.  I even used these when I was struggling through a divorce.  I found myself even breaking the slogan of “One Day at a Time” down to “One Minute at a Time” and then in my deep anxiety, into “One Moment at a Time”. 
     These slogans really work if you find the meaning behind them!   What they taught me was that my life had to be filled with the presence of God at all times.  It is only through the mighty power of God that despair can be lifted from the heart and the mind.  God wants it “all” to be taken to Him.  By doing this we are developing a deep dependence upon Him.  We are forming a relationship that requires going to God for the answers in every aspect of our lives.  As the bad stuff is eliminated from our lives we are opening up a space within our hearts.  This void space needs to be filled with the presence of God; if it is allowed to stay vacant and empty, without God, we will eventually only replace it with other junk and other problems.  If there is already a feeling of being empty inside fill it with God and His word before it gets filled with something far less rewarding. 
     No matter where a person is in life, it is never too late to begin with the end in mind- that is to start by dumping some garbage from your life and opening up a space to allow God to become the master over every thought and event in your life. 
     So, as I head toward my “friendly shade” today, I plan to considerate just what I can get rid of in order to meditate and talk with God so He can truly take over the direction of my life. 

1 comment:

  1. After reading your post I think I should do some
    'MIND' house cleaning and fill up with things of God. Thanks for the good thought! cj

    ReplyDelete