Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, July 6, 2013

Declaration of Independence


     The Fourth of July commemorates the Declaration of Independence.  It is  America’s day for celebrating and is marked by patriotic displays and fireworks.  Americans love their freedom; although many take it for granted.  We fly our flags and wear our colors of red, white, and blue.  We sing our patriotic songs, such as: “The Star-Spangled Banner”, “God Bless America”, “My Country, ‘Tis of Thee”, and many others. Yet, all too often, we neglect to care for the land in which we have been so blessed to live.  Where is our pride in our “land of opportunity” as we litter our streets and highways?  We enjoy our grilled hamburgers, hotdogs, watermelons, and home-made ice cream but fail to praise the God who provided our bountiful feasts and our freedom. 
     Among the highlights of the Fourth of July are firework displays which are shared at parks, fairgrounds, neighborhoods, lakeside parks, and baseball fields.  Crowds gather just before dusk, spread their blankets on the ground or unfold their lawn chairs, and prepare to be wowed by the bright, crackling sound of skyrockets and other types of fireworks.  Men, women, and children are watching! They are anxiously waiting for the first burst of colors to streak across the sky and light up into the many sparks of colors, typically oranges, silvers, purples, reds, and blues.  As the first boom sounds out loud and clear, the people point and exclaim in wonder at the beauty of it all.  The fireworks have finally begun, sending out a magnificent array of lights illuminating the darkened sky.  Too soon, the show is over.  As the last of the ashes descend, the crowd silently folds their blankets and chairs and walk away.
      Watching it all, I can't help but think about how I love the land in which I live, and I can't praise God enough for allowing me to live in Arkansas, a place where I was born and raised by loving parents.  I love God even more for giving me my very own "Declaration of Independence," when I accepted Him into my life.  That was a special time in my life for it was the time I really won my freedom.
     This freedom has a completely different meaning.  Things can change and have changed in this land we love; laws change and people change, but God and His law will never change.  Once I accepted and believed in God, I discovered that my freedom with Him will never change; I have no fear that it will be lost.
     As I celebrate my very own Independence Day, I hope God will find me watching, not for beautiful firework displays, but for the amazing appearance of His coming in the sky.  Much like the crowd watching for the fireworks display, I must continually remain vigilant and watchful for I do not know the hour I need to look up to see the magnificent of the moment.  "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come."  Matthew 24:42   It will all happen so quickly. “The Lord will come like a thief in the night.” 1 Thessalonians 5:2b
     I certainly do not want to miss my own fireworks display.  It will be so much greater than any I have ever seen before.  "For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.” Matthew 24:27.   “At the time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky,…they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.” Matthew 24:30  And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.” Mark 13:26-27
      I wonder, “Will the crowd be pointing at the amazing display?”   “Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him…” Revelations 1:7  
      Will we have any warning as to the time to watch?  “There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars.  On the earth, nations will be anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.  Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken.  At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.  When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift your heads…” Luke 21:25-28
     How will His coming change those of us who eagerly await Him?  “…And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.  Philippians 3:20”  “…then you also will appear with him in glory.” Colossians 3:4b  “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” 1 Peter 5:4
      What an introduction there will be to the amazing display of fireworks that is to come.   “For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air…..”  1 Thessalonians 4:  16-17.
     As I ascend into heaven to meet my Lord, will I be too excited to care about those left behind, or will I look back and weep for those left to endure troubling times?  Will they watch as I change into a glorious new array of light ascending into the sky? Will they mourn with regret, or will they simply fold up their blankets and lawn chairs and walk away? 
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment