Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Slavery


     I am saddened over the division in our country and the lack of respect for our justice system.  As I watched the discord over the outcome of the Zimmerman trial I believe that a lot of the problem stems from long ago with past slavery issues.  I wish I could say that slavery is a thing of the past but as I sit under “A Friendly Shade,” I am thinking of a totally different type of slavery which imprisons us.   We are all free today under the law, but we make ourselves slaves and imprison ourselves when we fail to forgive, when we fail to put the past behind us, when we fail to control our thoughts and our anger, and when we fail to accept responsibility for our own actions and the result of those actions.     
     In all honesty, no one is new to slavery.  Most everyone has been a slave at some point in time, and I see more and more people becoming slaves today.    We, ourselves, are to blame.  It does no good to point the finger at someone else because we will find there are 3 more pointing back at us.  As difficult as it may sometimes be, most of us are  not willing to overcome our obstacles and face our own responsibility. 
     There are many sources of slavery I could choose to write about, but as a banker I have chosen money or, rather, our lack of money.  We find in the Old Testament that when the famine came the people had not planned.  They had not stored up a reserve to assist them in times of need. 
     “When the money of the people of Egypt and Canaan was gone, all Egypt came to Joseph and said, “Give us food. Why should we die before your eyes? Our money is all gone.”  Genesis 47:15   This was the beginning of slavery for the Israelites.  Their torture, labor, and torment lasted for years until God rescued them.  After that amazing saving experience they still grumbled.  Even though they saw miracles, they were not content.  They cheered as God divided the Red Sea and allowed them to walk through to dry land.  They witnessed the miracle as God led them by day in a pillar of a cloud and by night in a pillar of fire.  They were filled by the bread God rained down from heaven every morning.  The people had been delivered from their slavery, yet they  were discontented and not satisfied; they remained slaves to their fear.   They still wanted to be taken care of. 
     As a banker and loan officer, I see people everyday who have not planned.  They  live for the present.  They do not make saving a way of life.  Most everyone will agree that it is hard to save in the economy we are in today, but even a little every month soon adds up.  Not only have they not attempted to put up a reserve of funds, they have placed excessive charges on credit cards.  Many restructure their home loans to get out of debt, but they are soon, once again, slaves to adding up more credit card debt because they have not broken the chains that hold them in bondage.  Although there is a place for credit cards, it is my firm belief they are not to be used for everyday needs and desires especially if the owner of the card has not acquired the wisdom, desire, and willingness to sacrifice in order to pay them off on a planned schedule.  Lack of planning, discontentment, and a desire for material possessions have made us slaves to the credit card company.
     Take a look at what Luke 14:28 tell us, “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower.  Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?”  
     Then, there are those who rely on government assistance to get them by on a daily basis.  They see no need to even look for a rewarding job.  Why should they?  Working tax payers will take care of them.  We also see people willing to rob, steal, and kill from those who make an honest living. But where does it get them?  Truth be known, this type of money is usually spent too quickly on their own addictions; addictions they have become slaves to.     
     In Proverbs 13:11 we have a warning about gaining money through dishonesty and are provided wisdom about saving.   Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.” 
     My method of saving may not have been the best, but I grew it little by little.  When I first started working, I did not make much money, but I remember putting a mere $5.00 a pay period into a savings account.  Sounds small!  But with every raise I increased that amount.  With every bonus I added more money.  I was proud as I watched my savings grow.   With that savings, I was able to meet unexpected expenses.  I could also use it to secure loans, if needed, while reserving my own funds. 
      I have also learned that unnecessary temptations to buy can be avoided by using the old method of paying with cash rather than a credit card.  There is something to be said about knowing that once my cash is gone there is no other means left to meet my  financial needs; whereby, if a credit card is used I often don’t consider the need and if I could actually do without this purchase; I don’t have to think about it until the bill comes around.  By that time too much debts has accumulated for me to pay it off all at once.  I find myself asking, “Why did I buy that?  Could I have done without it?”  I should have asked at the time, “Do I really need this?  Will it serve a purpose?”  If I had thought about it for a while or considered using the last of my available cash, the desire for instant gratification may have gone away and I would not have imprisoned myself with needless spending.   
     Imprisonment and slavery comes in so many forms and we must invest well in all areas of our lives to claim the Promised Land.  I firmly believe God wants to bless us.  He wants us to live well, but we have to do our part. 
     In Isaiah 55:2 we have more words to live by. “Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.”
     God is our Bread of Life, and our labor for Him and His work is more rewarding than material possessions.  In Matthew 25:18 we are given a parable to consider about a man who was given five bags of gold.  He invested well; however, there was another man who did not invest well.  “But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hide his master’s money.   Vs. 27 “Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. 
     The question is, “Are we willing to place the blame where it belongs? Are we willing to turn the negatives of life into positives?  Are we  willing to claim the Promised Land by accepting our  responsibility to invest well whether it be money, forgiveness, reliance on others, anger, or even inward thoughts?  Are we willing to do what it takes to remove the slavery that holds us in chains? 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment