Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, November 4, 2018

A Christian

   A Christian

      What is the definition of a Christian?  Merriam-Webster defines it as one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.
     Wikipedia says there is a wide range of beliefs and practices found across the world among those who call themselves Christian.  Denominations and sects disagree on a common definition of Christianity because some denominations do not acknowledge certain religious practices.
     The Bible refers to a Christian in a few verses of the Bible.  In Acts 11:26, "...And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."
     I believe Christians are those who profess belief in Jesus Christ, and they attempt, as much as possible in their fleshy state, to adhere to the character of Christ.  We know that good works do not make us acceptable to God.  Christians are acceptable because we believe in His Son and in His death for us.  Christians (believers) are acceptable through God's grace, His free gift to us.
     However, could there be a difference between a proclaimed Christian and a Person of God? For example:
      Proclaimed Christian
I say I love you                       
I go to Church.                         
I am offended
I help those in needs               
I look at your outward beauty     
I read the Word 
I pray for needs and for others   
   
       Person of God
I say I love you, but I love God more
I go to Church but most of all, I give God glory
I am offended but I forgive you
I help those in need and lift them up before God in prayer
I look at your inward beauty
I read the Word and obey it
I pray for needs and for others and give God praise and thankfulness

Oh, that we, as Christians, would strive to be People of God and "let others see Jesus in us."




No comments:

Post a Comment