Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Thursday, August 22, 2013

Seventy Times Seven


    When I was reading my “In Touch” the writer was giving an example of Jonah and how he was fearful of following what God was calling him to do and what a high price we pay in trying to flee from the Lord.  Along with that, he stated that in spite of our weak fleeing “God is forgiving – He offers a second or third or fortieth or millionth chance.”
     As I sit under “A Friendly Shade,” I wasn’t thinking so much about fleeing from God, which I certainly have a tendency to do out of fear as the author was talking about, but I was thinking about forgiveness.  First of all, if we do not have a forgiving heart we are not in the best position to do God’s will and to affect the lives of people for Him and for His work. 
     My first thoughts went to Matthew 18 when Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”  In verse 22 Jesus answers, “I say not unto thee, until seven times: but, until seventy times seven.”  
     Over my lifetime, I am sure God has forgiven me much more than seventy times seven.  There is no telling how many chances I have been given; more than “fortieth or a millionth” chances.  I praise my God for His forgiveness. 
     Certainly, if I want God to forgive me I should be just as willing to forgive others.  As I have tried to practice forgiveness, and it takes earnest prayer to do this, I have found that I am much more content and my heart is must more joyful when I do not hold grudges.  I have a better feeling about myself.  I have found that when I am “big enough” to forgive, I actually keep many more friendships, but most of all, I am following God’s direction and teaching.   
     My biggest fear as I sit under “A Friendly Shade,” is that someone will offend me in such a way that I cannot forgive.  Then I might be more like Jonah and be “swallowed by the whale.”  In other words, I hope I have a reverent fear of the Lord; a fear that is much healthier and greater than my fear of forgiving.   

 Matthew 18:35   So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.”

No comments:

Post a Comment