Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Five Senses of Christmas

     As I start my countdown to Christmas, I am reminded of Christmas' past.  They affect my five senses.
     My sight takes in the sparkling, glittering lights as they adorn homes and streets.  What child could not be fascinated by the many different colors of Christmas?
     My ears continue to take in the sound of harmonious voices being lifted in carol, telling of the magic of a Savior being born and laying in a manager and the angels proclaiming,  "A Savior is born!" This Savior is truly the Christmas spirit and the best gift on earth.
     My sense of smell takes me back to my childhood when there was always the scent of cinnamon and the smell of mellowing apples and ripeing  oranges coming from some hidden, unknown cabinet.  Then there was always the scent of fresh-cut cedar waiting to dry out from weeks of filling the room with multi-colored lights which were shedding their delightful glow throughout the room.
     My sense of taste was always overwhelmed with sugar coatings from snow-white divinity, the brewing of hot cocoa, and , of course, those fruit filled cakes
     Then there is my sense of touch.  I still remember the prick of fresh cut cedar, loving hugs as family wished each other "Merry Christmas",  and most of all, the whisker scratches across my cheek as Santa woke me to the joy of Christmas morning with a "Ho-Ho-Ho."
     As we make even more memories every Christmas season, these early memories never leave us, but the one memory that stays forever in the forefront is when I realized that Jesus is the true reason for the season and, without Jesus, there would be no Christmas. 
     I often wonder what Jesus' first Christmas was like and what effected this new-born baby's  senses.  Within His sight, could He see the bright star directing the wise toward His location?  Could He hear the angels singing the song proclaiming, "A Savior is born?"  Could He smell the dusty scent of barnyard hay as it covered His manager bed?   Could He taste the dust laden hay that surrounded Him.  Could He already feel the nails that would eventually pierce His hands as He laid down His life for mankind? 
     Regardless of all this, Jesus really didn't care.  He came with a purpose, and He came to fulfill that purpose.  He died and He arose and I was saved because of it. 
    
                                                   Merry Christmas to All!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment