Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Thursday, March 24, 2016

Easter and The Comforter

     Easter is a remembrance time of the Savior who died on the cross and rose to live the third day. However, Easter is celebrated different ways depending on the culture.  In America, we celebrate Easter with our children by Easter baskets, colorful Easter eggs, new frocks, and sometimes sunrise services.  The Easter baskets often include an Easter bunny or baby chick and chocolate coated candy. 
     I was interested in how Easter eggs and baskets came to be, so I looked up Wikipedia which stated that the Easter egg was the symbol of the empty tomb, and the Easter lily was the symbol of the Resurrection.
     Then I was interested in baby bunnies and chicks.  I didn't actually research how that tradition started, but I did see a sign posted at Atwood's which stated it was unlawful to sell baby chicks in quantities of less than six.  "Why?" I wondered.  So, I looked up Arkansas state law and found that baby chicks are a flock bird.  Within a flock there is comfort, companionship and contentment for each member of the flock.  Since baby chicks have a natural instinct to flock together, a single baby chick could possibly die from loneliness.
     Now that I have given the trivia for the day, let's consider what is said in the Scripture about what happened just before Jesus was betrayed and later denied.
     Jesus called his twelve disciples together for a final breaking of bread.  This Last Supper was to give instruction to His disciples.  Jesus took the bread, blessed it, brake it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is my body."  Then he took the cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them saying, "Drink ye all of it, for this is my blood which is shed for many for the remission of sin."  Although this was final instruction for remembrance of what Jesus was to do for us all, I believe it was also a time of great fellowship together.
     Afterwards, all but one disciple journeyed with Jesus to the Garden of Gethsemane.  Jesus was in great agony, and He needed to pray alone, but He also needed the companionship of His disciples. He wanted them to watch and wait with Him.  Matthew 26:38, "Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me."
     I find that I often need human contact, much like the baby chicks who have a natural instinct to flock together.  Yet, Jesus gave me more than this when He died on the Cross for me.  As a Christian, I have a natural tendency to flock to Him, especially in my times of trouble.  There is no other One who can truly fulfill or comfort me like Jesus can.  
     John 14:16-17, "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever, Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."

No comments:

Post a Comment