Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Monday, March 21, 2016

FOLLOW ME!

From the beginning of time God has called, “Follow Me.” 
     When Adam and Eve did not follow the instructions of God, sorrow was the result.  God stated, “Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, …cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;”
     When the Israelites were discouraged and feared entering the promise land the Lord’s anger was kindled, “Because they have not followed me wholeheartedly, not one of those who were twenty years old or more when they came up out of Egypt will see the land promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob..”  This resulted in the wandering in the wilderness forty years.
     Most all of us remember the story of Jonah and the whale.  God called Jonah to go forth to Nineveh and cry out against their wickedness.  However, Jonah didn’t “follow.”  Instead he tried to flee from God and ended up in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights until he prayed unto the Lord and agreed to follow Him.
     In His great love for mankind, God sent his Son to die on the cross in order to save us from our sinful ways.  In return, we are to “Follow Him”.  In verse after verse, especially in the New Testament we find the words, “Follow me.” 

  Matthew 8:22  But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead buy their own dead.”
  Matthew 10:38  Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
  Matthew 16:24  Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
  Matthew 19:28  Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
  Mark 1:17  “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
  Mark 10:21 Jesus looked at him and loved him.  “One thing you lack,” he said.  “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me.”
  John 1:43  The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee.  Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.”
  John 8:12  When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
  John 10:27  My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
  John 12:26  Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be.  My Father will honor the one who serves me.
  John 21:19  Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God.  Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

     As I think on these words, “Follow me,” it is really very simple.  Believe in Jesus, read His Word, love His ways, and be willing to carry the Cross to others.  Above, in John 8:12, Jesus tells us what a wonderful blessing he has in store for us if we truly follow Him.

    
   

 
    
    




No comments:

Post a Comment