Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, January 12, 2018

Count Your Blessings!

     I recently found an old Broadman Hymnal songbook, with a copyright date of 1940, in a discount shop.  I grabbed it up for fifty cents.  Even though I am not gifted with musical ability, I love to recall these old songs. 
     Just to clear up one thing though, I was not even born in 1940, but the Broadman was the songbook used in my little church when I was growing up; however, I was disappointed not to find "Count Your Many Blessings" in this particular one.
     What ever happened to these old-time gospel songs?  Ones like, "Count Your Many Blessings,"  "In the Garden", "On Jordan's Stormy Banks, "We've a Story to Tell," "Heavenly Sunlight," and many others?  It is refreshing to recall them. 

Count Your Blessing
 "Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God has done."


     I find when I stop and really, really count my blessings, it makes me thankful.  It removes many of my fleshly desires and anxiety.  It helps me be content with what I have.  I like what Max Lucado said when writing about Paul's imprisonment, "What he had in Christ was far greater than what he didn't have in life."

In the Garden
"And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own:
And the joy we share we share as we tarry there,
None other has every known."

What a blessing to know that He walks with me daily, and that I am His child!

 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment