Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, March 9, 2018

In My Heart!

     I have never been a big traveler and never, in my wildest dreams, thought I would have the glorious opportunity to see Israel, the Holy Land where Jesus walked.  This was, for me, the trip of a lifetime, but even if I had never been able to go, I would have always been blessed by the experiences I have-- just where I am. 
     Looking back over the trip, my most memorable sites were the Sea of Galilee, the Garden of Gethsemane, and the Garden Tomb.  
     It was raining when we first stepped onto the boat to take us for a ride on the Galilee.  The ride was amazing and the boat captain, a converted Christian Jew, sang some inspiring Christian songs.  As I began the ride, and after returning home, I was able to connect more fully with this freshwater sea.  This was where Jesus first began His ministry as he walked along the shore and invited fishermen to "follow Him."  This was the area where Jesus healed the blind and the lame.  This was the area where Jesus fed the 5000 with only 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread.  However, if I had never been blessed with this wonderful Israel trip, I have the opportunity every day to hear Jesus say to me, "Follow me!"  The question every day is will I choose to take His hand and "follow Him?"   


         At the Garden of Gethsemane, I was impressed by the way it had been maintained.  I couldn't help but be reminded of how the disciples were unable to remain awake while Jesus knelt in agonizing prayer, so much so that "His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground."  I was honored to be able to sit beneath an oil tree and offer up my own heart-felt prayer to the Jesus who may have just knelt in this very spot.   Yet, even if I had not been here in this garden, I am so very blessed to know that Jesus hears my daily prayer just where I am every day.  I am further blessed to know that just as He loved His disciples who could not remain awake and pray with Him, He also loves me when, in my human weakened state,  I, myself, fall asleep at night while in prayer time with Him.  In Matthew 26, I hear Him say, "Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand..."          
                                
     Finally, at the Garden Tomb, I knew what to expect.  Jesus was not there!  The Tomb was empty.  However, I was expecting a simple hole in a mountain.  This was actually a small room carved out of a huge stone or cave.  The room may have been used as a weeping area, but I have no knowledge of that.  To the right was a short step down with a separate area carved out for the body.  The one thing I do know was that Jesus was risen, and He was not there.  Many still disbelieve and may even wonder what happened to Him.  Yet, I know.  He is here.  He is Alive!  He is with His Father.  He is everywhere.  He is here in my heart, and He intercedes for me everyday, just where I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment