Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, July 21, 2023

Former Days

I hate to admit it, but I am getting old and like to think of the “good ole days.”  I survived spankings from a switch I had to pluck off a peach tree. I survived rusty hot metal slides, toy guns, candy cigarettes, no seatbelts while riding in the back of a pick-up truck, and drinking from the same dipper in a water bucket in which everyone else had already drank. There were no locked house doors most of the time. I survived having no television, and even no phone for a small part of my early years. I even later had the joy of getting angry and being able to slam the receiver down on the phone. I made mud pies and probably ate dirt and went barefoot. I even learned to calculate math in my head. 
     When I think of the good old days, I do not think of crime, angry politicians, and the way people oppose each other, but it existed.  I have often been caught saying that my former days were so much better than they are today. However, I came across a scripture this morning which told me how wrong I have been. 
     “Do not say, ‘Why is it that the former days were better than these?’ For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this.” A following verse tells me, “Consider the work of God for who is able to straighten what He has bent?” 
     God created the former days and He is in the present days. One day is just as good as any other day. God uses every day to achieve His purpose. My purpose is to keep my focus on God, not on former days.  

1 comment:

  1. The former days were no better than the latter days, but people reacted differently to the days.

    ReplyDelete