Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Monday, February 20, 2023

Weeds

      I have been rather sedentary this winter season, as usual. There is nothing like cold weather and rain to keep me inside by the fireplace. The problem is that I get complacent with no desire to make improvements or “weed the garden.”
     So, yesterday the sun was shining bright with warmer weather, which gave me a desire to venture outside.  I decided to actually weed the garden.  I pulled the bigger weeds that were forming deep roots. The smaller weeds were too numerous without getting out the tiller, although the tiller would only bury them deeper to eventually re-appear on the surface again. I hated that those roots were getting established.  I knew they would give me a problem later before my summer crop harvest.
     The more I weeded, the more I thought about how I needed to also root the weeds out of my life every single day before they grew deeper and spread.  I also thought about what I really wanted to grow, not just during the summer sunmy days but through the cold and the rain, as well.     
     The weeds I am talking about are gossip, envy, jealously, selfishness, self-pride, and so much more.  The longer I allowed these weeds to grow, the deeper they would grow. What I desired to plant was good seed; love, good-will, a prayer life for others, a joy when other receive blessing, and much, so much more. I did not want my life to be full of weeds, growing ever deeper. I no longer wanted to be sedentary and complacent although I would have to fight my fleshly nature.
     Next, I read what Jesus said when he explained the parable about the weeds in Matthew 13, “The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom.  The weeds are the people of the evil one.”  
     My conclusion is that it does not pay to let even the small weeds grow. They eventually become bigger, growing ever deeper, spreading, creating havoc, smothering out the good seed. It appears I have a daily work to do with the help of Scripture and God by my side. I am continually a "work in progress." 
     

      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment