Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Thursday, July 4, 2024

Make Cake

Not many people today make layer cakes. They are more difficult and time consuming than  sheet cakes. A layer cake finds the baker often having to deal with layers that did not bake out evenly and which can slip and slide to the side if not careful adding the frosting. Yet, three layer cakes are what I bake most often, because I think they are better- sweeter and more moist. 

     Although I bake layer cakes, my cake can get pretty messy. To prevent the layers from sliding, I often have to jab a few toothpicks around here and there to prevent them from sliding. Sometimes, the layers can even break apart and need a repair job. The top frosting is usually pretty messy looking. It may even drip down around the rim of the plate. I can often hide the flaws and messy look of the final top frosting by dressing it up with a few nuts, coconut, or some other item that compliments the taste unless I decide to let the flaws show and not worry about the lopsided appearance, hoping all the flaws will be overlooked by the deliciousness of the cake. Actually, I've learned in life that looks can be deceiving; the taste still good.  

     That said, I find my life much like a layer cake-messy with a few toothpicks jabbed around supporting the structure and the flaws dressed up, but life is joyful and good. And, as I savor a good slice of cake, I remember that "All things work together for good if we love God.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment