Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Sunday, October 13, 2024

Book Review on "Confronting The Presidents"

My Book Review on Confronting the Presidents

 

I have never been a history buff and did not think I wanted to read the book my neighbor offered, but I thought, “Why not? At least skim through it!” So, I accepted the book and began reading. I found I could not put it down. 

     Confronting the Presidents by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard was fascinating! It was not overridden with government policy but, rather, shared personal likes and dislikes- what their preferences were for meals, work, social status, etc. 

     I found that George Washington did not attend his demanding mother’s funeral nor pay for her headstone. I found that President Benjamin Harrison and his family were so afraid of the first installation of electric lighting in the White House that they hired a man whose only job was to turn the lights on and off. They were afraid of being electrocuted! Franklin Roosevelt won four terms in office before the 22nd Amendment, making it illegal to serve more than two terms, was passed. There were some Presidents who rose out of poverty while others were born into wealth. There were some who were discipled and others not so much. Some Presidents cheated on their wives and others were drunks. Many made it through their terms because of support from their spouses, and the portrayals of the wives was interesting, as well.

     All in all, Confronting the Presidents is kind of like reading People Magazine. I recommend it!

 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment