Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Friday, October 4, 2024

Prayer Template

Some people are gifted with elegant prayers and can go on and on. I am not one of them. My prayers are often short and vocally lacking, but God hears the words in my heart. 

     I have attempted to pray the scriptures, and also searched and found some of my favorite prayers. Of course, the very best example is the Lord’s prayer in Matthew 6:9-13. 

 

vs. 9 “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.” (This tells me to recognize the name of my Father first and give His name the place of honor.  I also like 2 Corinthians 1:3 as a beginning for prayer, “Blessed be the God and Father our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort.”)

 

vs. 10 “Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” (This is such a good way to start the day by asking the Lord to let His will take place in my life and remove my own self-will. It is submission to God.)

 

vs. 11 “Give us this day our daily bread.” ( I like to make this more personal by changing it to: Give me this day my daily bread. This is me telling God that He is my daily nourishment.)  

 

vs. 12 “And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.” (Here again, I want to make it more personal by using “I” instead of us and we. I am truly asking for God’s forgiveness, but also telling God I will be forgiving, as well.)

 

vs. 13a “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. (Again, insert I, but also this is an acknowledgement to God that I know I am weak and I need His help keeping me away from Satan’s powers during the day. Having asked this of God, I have assurance of His protection.)

 

vs 13b “For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen”

(Just as in the beginning of this prayer where I am giving God honor, the ending acknowledges His power and His Kingship over my life.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment