Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Thursday, October 17, 2024

My Friend

I looked is the definition of a friend. It is “someone we know well, like, and trust. A friend is one in whom we might share common values and beliefs.”  Next, I thought about how I would define a friend.  

     When I think about a friend, I think of someone I have known, someone I trust, and someone I can tell my secrets to and who will not be unkind. My friend will listen and guide while not judging me.

     While considering what I want in a friend I remembered the song, What a Friend We Have In Jesus.This song written by Joseph Scriven truly describes the best friend I would ever have.  In the following I removed “we” and “our” and inserted “I” and “my” to make it personal.  

 

What a friend (I) have in Jesus
All (my) sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer

O what peace (I) often forfeit
O what needless pain (I) bear
All because (I ) do not carry
Everything to God in prayer

Have (I) trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
(I) should never be discouraged
Take it to the Lord in prayer

Can (I ) find a friend so faithful
Who will all (my) sorrows share?
Jesus knows (my) every weakness
Take it to the Lord in prayer

 

I must say, few people have true, lasting friends, but Jesus is a friend who will always stay true, always listen, always walk through trails with me, and He will always be forgiving and loving. 

     I hold fast to John 13, “Greater love has no one than this that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends…No longer do I call you slaves,…but I have called you friends…You did not choose Me but I chose you.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment