Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Monday, August 26, 2024

Embarrassment

I hate when others witness an event that totally embarrasses me. I have yet to learn to laugh at myself, but I am trying. 

     I remember a winter day when there was ice on the ground, and the exit from my office was downhill. The pavement was frozen over. I looked around to see if there was anyone in the parking lot who might come to my rescue. Seeing none, I bent my knees to get low to the cement and inched down, duck-walk style,  practically on my rear, to prevent myself from falling. Totally ungraceful! Unknown to me, a friend was actually sitting in his truck watchful, and laughing. 

     Another time, I was in a meeting. I pushed my chair back to get up and got one foot tangled in the leg of the nearby chair and immediately landed on the floor. I bounced up so quickly that half of the people in the room did not even see the event, but the nearby ones did. I bet that was the quickly recovery for an old lady they had ever seen! 

     What brought all this telling of embarrassing moments on? It was two things. First, my daughter told me about something she did a few weeks ago which embarrassed her, and she was just now able to laugh and share it. The other was a scripture I read this morning in Hebrews 12:1. “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” 

     Witnesses around me are watching! This encourages me to act in such a way as to please my Father. I do not want to embarrass Him or hinder His work here on earth. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment