Mary Crisp Jameson - copyright material







Saturday, September 28, 2024

Humble

There is a fun song, It’s Hard to Be Humble, written by Mac Davis. It goes something like: 

 

Oh Lord it's hard to be humbleWhen you're perfect in every wayI can't wait to look in the mirrorCause I get better looking each dayTo know me is to love meI must be a hell of a manOh Lord It's hard to be humble,But I'm doing the best that I can

 

When I thought of being humble, this song came to mind, but I also thought, more seriously, about how I am instructed to be meek and humble. I am to think more of others and less of myself. Jesus gave many examples of being humble. 

 

Jesus humbled Himself when He, The King of Kings and Lord of Lords, left His heavenly throne to come to earth and be born in a stable. 

Jesus humbled Himself by becoming a simply carpenter’s son who never took on an earthly title.

Jesus humbled Himself when He washed the feet of His disciples.

Jesus humbled Himself by being obedient to death-even death on the cross.

 

A few instructions good for me to remember and be encouraged by are:     

 

“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up. James 4:10

“And when he humbled himself, the wrath of the Lord turned from him…”  2 Chronicles 12:12a

“Better to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.” Proverbs 16:19

“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:4

“Put on therefore, as the elect of God …humbleness of mind…” Colossians 3:12 


I end with, "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, but to be humble is my desire. I want to follow Your example. I want to be humble in Your sight. I want to be humble when I fall at the feet of my Savior."

No comments:

Post a Comment